czwartek, 23 października 2014

Formal and Informal Email

GREETINGS
Formal
Dear Sir/ Madam,
- Dear Sir or Madam,
- To whom it may concern: (especially AmE)
- Dear Mr/ Ms Jones,
- Dear Dr Smith,
(note: First names are NOT used. Using Miss or Mrs to address a woman  is not good form anymore: you cannot know whether she’s married or not)
Informal
- Hi Dennis,
- Hello Claire,
- Dear Mum,
(note: salutations are followed by a (,) comma, exception: ’To whom it may concern:’)

REASON FOR WRITING/ REPLYING

Formal
- I am writing to make a reservation/ to apply for the position of…/ to confirm my booking/ to ask for further information about
- I am writing with regard to the sale of …/ to the complaint you made on 29 February
- Thank you for your e-mail of 29 February regarding the sale of… / concerning the conference in Brussels.
- With reference to our telephone conversation on Friday, I would like to let you know that…
Informal
- Just a quick note to invite you to…/ to tell you that…
This is to invite you to join us for a picnic on 20 May.
- Thanks for your e-mail, it was wonderful/great to hear from you.

MAKING A REQUEST/ ASKING FOR INFORMATION

Formal
- Could you please let me know if you can attend the fair/ if you are available for a meeting on 12 December?
- I would appreciate it if you could send me a brochure/ if you could reply within two days.
- Could you possibly arrange a meeting with my secretary?
- I would also like to know if there are any swimming pools in your area.
- Please, let me know how much the tickets cost.
Informal
- I was wondering if you could come and see me sometime next week.
- Would you mind coming early to help me clear up the place?
- Do you think you could call Jerry for me?
- Can you call me/ get back to me asap? (as soon as possible)

OFFERING HELP/ GIVING INFORMATION

Formal
- We are happy to let you know that your article has been selected for publication.
- I am glad to inform you that we will be holding our annual conference in Brussels on 20 September 2014.
- We regret to inform you that the show has been cancelled due to bad weather conditions.
- We are willing to arrange another meeting with the CEO.
- We would be glad to send you another statement if necessary.
- Please, let me know if I can be of further assistance.
- Should you need any further information/assistance, do not hesitate to contact us.
Informal
- I’m sorry, but I can’t make it tomorrow. (= I can’t come tomorrow.)
- I’m happy to tell you that John and I are getting married next month.
- Would you like me to come early and help you clear up the place?
- How about I come and help you out?
- Do you need a hand with moving the furniture?

COMPLAINING

Formal
- I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with… / to complain about…
- I regret to say that I was not completely satisfied with the room you provided us.
- We regret to inform you that your payment is considerably overdue.
- I would like to receive a full refund and compensation for the damages.
- I am interested to hear how your company can compensate us for the distress we suffered.
Informal
- I’m sorry to say that you’re late with the payments.
- I hope you won’t mind me saying that the place you’d recommended to us wasn’t as nice as we’d expected.

APOLOGIZING

Formal
- We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.
- Please accept our apologies for the delay.
- Please let us know what we can do to compensate you for the damages caused.
- We will make sure that this will not happen again in the  future.
- I am afraid I will not be able to attend the conference.
Informal
- I’m sorry for the trouble I caused.
- I apologize for the delay.
- I promise it won’t happen again.
- I’m sorry, but I can’t make it to the meeting.

ATTACHING FILES

Formal
- I am attaching my CV for your consideration.
- I am sending you the brochure as an attachment.
- Please see the statement attached.
- Please find attached the file you requested.
- I am afraid I cannot open the file you have sent me.
- Could you send it again in … format?
Informal
- I’m attaching/sending you the holiday photos.
- Sorry, but I can’t open it. Can you send it again in … format?

ENDING

Formal
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- I look forward to hearing when you are planning to visit our town.
Informal
- Hope to hear from you soon.
- I’m looking forward to seeing you.

CLOSING FORMULA

Formal
- Yours faithfully, (when you start with Dear Sir/ Madam,)
- Yours sincerely, (when you start with the name e.g. Dear Ms Collins)
- Sincerely Yours, (AmE)
- Sincerely, (AmE)
- Yours Truly, (AmE)
Informal
- Love,
- Thanks,
- Take care,
- Yours,
- Best regards, (semi-formal, also BR)


 

źródło: http://www.myenglishteacher.eu/blog/formal-and-informal-email-phrases/

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz