piątek, 24 lipca 2015

word order - adverbs with the verb

Subject + verb + place + time

Toms walks to work every morning.

- some adverbs (for example: always, also, probably, hardly ever) go with the verb in the middle of a sentence:
 Tom always goes to work by car.
I always have to phone him. 

- Adverbs go AFTER am/is/are/was/were:
 The traffic isn't usually as bad as it was this morning.

- if the verb is two or more words (can remember/doesn't smoke/ has been stolen etc.) the adverb goes AFTER THE FIRST VERB
I can never remember his name.

- PROBABLY goes BEFORE NEGATIVE
I probably won't see you.
I will probably not see you.

- we also use ALL and BOTH in these positions:
We all felt ill after the meal.
My parters are both teachers.
Sarah and Jane have both applied for the job.
We are all going out this evening. 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz